13 months is a long time.....Pinch of Nom.........Goals

I lost posted on this blog 13 months ago. 

It is now time to recommit to myself and change some of the bad habits to good habits!

Mark, the partner in crime, has now managed to loose nearly 2 stone since his stay in hospital.

How has he done it?  Cut right down on what he drinks and eating better i.e., swapping sandwiches out for vegetable soup that has less calories in, but is more filling!

I am going to be loosing weight using Steve Miller's Fatnosis method, which follows the 80:20 rule.  This is where you eat right for 80% of the time and eat what you like for 20% of the time.

I watched his live(s) this morning in the Fatnosis group in regards to the push and pull motivators!  I need to watch again to work out which ones will help me the best!







I have brought the above book recently and there are some great recipes in it!  They taste great and are so filling.


What is going to be different this time?
This time is going to be different as I do not want to end up in hospital, like Mark!  It was such a scary experience and one I don't want to happen again.

My knees are suffering because of the excess weight that I am carrying and I struggle to walk - Mark says I waddle!  I struggle to get my Avon round done!  I hate that I have to stop and start!


Time for some Goal Setting



So I need to review where I am currently with my weight and what I want to achieve.   I need to know my deep why I want to loose weight, as it is more than a wish and I need to plan my way to success.


Once I have decided on what my goals will be I will then to make a plan on how I will achieve these goals. 

If you Google goal setting there is lots of articles on goal setting theory.  A popular theory that you see used often is:


Click here for a good article on SMART.  A summary of the article is as follows:

SMART is an acronym that can be used as a guide for goal setting and it's criteria are commonly attributed to Peter Drucker's Management by Objectives concept.

To make sure your goals are clear and reachable, each one should be:

  • Specific (simple, sensible, significant).
  • Measurable (meaningful, motivating).
  • Achievable (agreed, attainable).
  • Relevant (reasonable, realistic and resources, results-based).
  • Time bound (time-based, time limited, time/cost limited, timely, time-sensitive).


Some authors have expanded it to include extra focus areas; SMARTER, for example, includes Evaluated and Reviewed.

How to use SMART

1) Specific
Your goal needs to be clear and specific, otherwise we won't be able to focus our efforts or feel truly motivated to achieve it.  When drafting your goal, try to answer the 5 'W' questions:

  • What do I want to accomplish?
  • Why is this goal important?
  • Who is involved?
  • Where is located?
  • What resources or limits are involved?
2) Measurable
It is important to have goals that we can measure, so that we can track our progress and remain motivated.  Assessing your progress helps us stay focused, meet our deadlines and feel the excitement of getting closer to achieving our goals.  A measurable goal should address questions such as:

  • How much?
  • How many?
  • How will I know when it is accomplished?

3) Achievable
For your goal to be successful it needs to be realistic and attainable.  In other words, it should stretch your abilities but still remain possible.  When you set an achievable goal, you may be able to identify previously overlooked opportunities or resources that can bring you closer to it.  An achievable goal will usually answer questions such as:

  • How can I accomplish this goal?
  • How realistic is the goal, based on other constraints, such as financial factors?

4) Relevant
This step is about ensuring that your goal matters to you and that it aligns with other relevant goals.  We all need support and assistance in achieving our goals, but it is important to retain control over them.  So, make sure that your plans drive everyone forward, but that you're still responsible for achieving our own goal.  A relevant goal can answer 'yes' to the following questions:

  • Does this seem worthwhile?
  • Is this the right time?
  • Does this match our other efforts/needs?
  • Am I the right person to reach this goal?
  • Is it applicable in the current socio-economic environment?

5) Timebound
Every goal needs a target date, so that you have a deadline to focus on and something to work towards.  This part of the criteria helps to prevent everyday tasks from taking priority over your longer term goals.  A time bound goal will usually answer the following questions:

  • When?
  • What can I do 6 months from now?
  • What can I do 6 weeks from now?
  • What can I do today



So it's time to put this into practise and decide what our goals will b.

I need to make weight loss goals part of your my life and weave it in and take action.


It is all very well writing our goals, but if don't take any action then we will not see any changes - these changes may not result in immediate changes, but in the long term we may see huge results!

I would love to hear what your weight loss goals are?




Comments